Sunday, June 3, 2012

Getting back to yourself.....

Recently, I was reading a post by Reva in which she talked about her blogging history.

    Since beginning this blog, I have found myself trying new looks, and at times, wearing stuff just for the sake of a good post. Those days have long passed, thank goodness. 

I immediately related to that statement!  When I look back on early posts of mine, I see that I've done the exact same thing.  Let's face it.  Our everyday wear really isn't all that exciting.  And to be honest, some of my most over the top outfits got the most comments.  What more encouragement did I need?

But after a couple of years of pretty consistent blogging, I've gotten back to what I feel is more me.....streamlined, if you will.   I love style and fashion more than ever, and while I still enjoy getting out of my comfort zone; I'm less likely to wear something for the sake of the blog.


Untitled
Top:  Thrifted   Skirt:  J Crew Thrifted  Shoes:  Franco Sarto via TJ Maxx  Necklaces and bracelet:  Thrifted, but the stone one was given to me by my mom.


Untitled
And STILL working the red nails!!  LOVE them!


This outfit is pretty close to quintessential me.  Clean lines.  Layered necklaces.  Organic jewelry of which I'm a HUGE fan of right now.  I've done pretty well at keeping my closet pared down to only the pieces that I LOVE and love wearing.  This skirt has made it through several cuts....I just can't seem to part with it because it's so versatile!!

I'm tickled to death to FINALLY have made it back to another Visible Monday and thank you Patti for having started it to begin with!  Also, PLEASE go check out Pam's blog for a wonderful Visible Monday explanation.  The blogosphere tends to have cliques and "in groups" like any other social gathering.  Sometimes over 40 bloggers can get pigeonholed into the category of basically Stellas trying to get our groove back!  And while there certainly isn't a thing wrong with that, I think most of the 40+ bloggers that I know have a pertinent and valuable perspective on fashion and style.  We're savvy shoppers who don't jump to the latest trends and if it's not too self serving to say so, I actually think we bring a lot of wisdom and perspective to the fashion blogging community which can get a bit advertorial heavy at times.  So check Pam out and be sure to give her a cyber hug!!


Photobucket

24 comments:

  1. First of all, Serene, that top picture of you is gorgeous! You are looking great! I really believe my style is becoming less is more...I have gone through many circles...but I think that is common with those of us who are love the creativity in fashion. Thanks for your support..this was a difficult post to write. I did not want anyone to think I was after the blogger who wrote the words...but the words really stirred a reaction within me! I wanted to come to our defense...I see strong statements from the participants, not struggles. I am glad you came back to VISIBLE MONDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serene--I love this look on you and share your enthusiasm for "organic" jewelry. I suspect that most of us have gone through phases of trying looks on for size (that's creativity in my mind) and returning to what feels most natural to us. This summer, I will be teaching online and could get away with never getting dressed at all. The blog helps me to care a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely pictures of you. I particularly love the sun rays in the second photo! :D Beautiful.

    I really love your outfit. I see why the skirt keeps making the cut; such a great piece. I'm really loving organic jewelry, and red nails too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your shoes and the bracelets and that white skirt, it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. totally get what you mean in regards to outfits when you first start blogging. I have a couple of very out there blogs I read but for the most part I like seeings creative outfits that are wearable :) classy outfit Serene, love the red nails too, they kind of pull this neutral look together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are radiant in these photos. I really like your neutral color choices here too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice look Serene. I just read Pam's article and was very happy that she picked up on that 'struggling' comment and explained to everyone what visible Monday was all about. I could not have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look great Serene. I totally agree on you about wearing blog worthy outfits. I am guilty of it still..haha...But sometimes dressing up is an intentional effort for me. Blogging has definitely helped me improve my style, tremendously....thanks to checking out chic ladies like you! This neutral outfit looks wonderful on you, somehow the light colors are reflected on your skin to give a soft radiant glow.

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. First, you look gorgeous! Love your necklaces so much. Next, you really rang a bell with your remarks about dressing up for our blogs -- but I think for me it was a good way to stretch my wings and experiment. I am definitely more daring now, even as I pare down my wardrobe. I love this post, thanks for sharing it with Visible Monday xooxoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your outfit!!! I can see why that skirt stays on!
    What you see with me is is what you'd get even if I didn't blog. Reading everyone's blogs has helped me be more confident in dressing like I WANT!! And I get so much inspiration to try new color combos and such.
    That's not to say I have around the house outfits that shouldn't be seen in public!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I look at a lot of fashion blogs and I agree that there is an internal temptation to start wearing the 'trendy' color, cut or outfit of the month. Luckily, I have an obstinate streak in me and find it hard to dress to please anyone but myself. Great, thoughtful post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it my imagination or do you have an angel glow in the second photo?
    Lovely in neutral! And, you have a beautiful smile!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Serene! isn't it great to just "Be" :) You'll be seeing a LOT more black from me! My favorite :)
    Huge Hugs
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  14. Serene, I have been thinking of you lately. I like more casual styles. I've thought that my outfits didn't compare well to others because they are not business or work outfits. I wear what I like and what is comfortable for a day at home or running errands. I am starting to redefine my look to more simple outfits. I am so glad to see you back for VM!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a very nice outfit that you can wear most anywhere...I really like it! I love buying shoes from TJMaxx and I have several Franco Sarto shoes that I have purchased from them. I love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. As a relatively new blogger, I've found myself pondering the same question: do I post an actual "what I wore today" outfit or a more fanciful "what I could've worn today" outfit? Still not sure about all that. I do know that you look so pretty and I love your attitude about it all!

    Have a great week my dear!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooooh, taupe and white. How I love that colour combination!! And those shoes look not only stylish, but comfortable. Is there such a thing?!!

    I have been wearing red/white/blue this past weekend in honour of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee, but it isn't my normal colour choice. Drop by my blog if you like and check out my Union Jack umbrella. Honestly, I was a bit pleased it rained, just so I could show it off.

    Cheers from England,
    Rosemary www.foreveronthecatwalkoflife.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your comments are so thoughtful and on-point, as always, Serene. That outfit is so wonderful on you. Simple elegance is a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. First of all some cyberhugs from me.I admit I've also posted outfits for the shake of posting esp when experimenting with style and I've even thrifted stuff I knew would look good on a post.But those days are also over and My wardrobe is paired down and I'm into my less is more phase at the moment.I also have to admit that I found a very good company in the group of the 40s bloggers as they are not only stylish but very well informed and have a more intellectual approach to style than your average fashionista.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are looking vibrant and gorgeous as ever. I don't you ever lost your groove, baby.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it, you’re a great author. I will ensure that I bookmark your blog and may come back from now on. I want to encourage you to continue your great writing, have a nice day! 야한동영상

    Click this link
    야설

    ReplyDelete
  22. I could not resist commenting. Well written. There is certainly a lot to learn about this topic. I love all of the points you have made. 일본야동

    Click this link
    한국야동

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are so awesome! I don’t suppose I have read anything like this before. So wonderful to discover another person with genuine thoughts on this issue. Really.. many thanks for starting this up. This site is something that’s needed on the web, someone with a little originality. 한국야동닷컴

    Click this link
    국산야동

    ReplyDelete
  24. Greetings! Very useful advice within this article! It’s the little changes that will make the biggest changes. Thanks for sharing! 국산야동

    Click this link
    야설

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene