Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Elegant Bohemian: The definition



Isn't this a gorgeous picture of Cher?!  Early Cher embodies what, to me, "elegant bohemian" is all about.  There's a sleekness, dignity and ELEGANCE to her style.  But it's her unexpected details that bring out the BOHEMIAN in her look.  The ethnic jewelry.  The hair.  The WOW factor of her jewelry.

One of the things that I relate to about Cher is that there is nothing subtle about her looks.  She doesn't have "fine" features.  Everything on her face demands attention.  I get that.  I'm well past wishing I had delicate features and an ethereal beauty.  I have rebellious eye brows that MUST be tamed.  Large eyes.  A nose that's been broke and is far from delicate.  Teeth that just refuse remain within the confines of my mouth!  And I have a sneaking suspicion that my hair line and brows have a thing for one another because my forehead just can't seem to keep the two apart!!  Truly! My brows want to grow right into my forehead!  And if I didn't tame the hair above my lip............well, enough of that.  I think you get the picture!  I'm not being self deprecating here, just embracing what I see in the mirror.

Cher has never been ethereal in her beauty either.  She has "in your face" features and she has NEVER tried to tone them down by her personal style.  No shying away from bold accessories or clothes.  No reeling anything in.   She's full on, unapologetic, CHER!

And I'd like to think that that is REALLY what Elegant Bohemian is all about.  Again that word, ownership.  Seems to be a recurring theme for me lately, even in my personal conversations with my husband.  Owning who we are and what we are.  "No complaining.  No explaining." Drawing a line in the sand between inspiration and imitation and staying well clear of the imitation side.   Embracing what makes us unique while allowing (and even celebrating ) others their own uniqueness.  

Elegant Bohemian is the equivalent of what I say when I'm complimented on my name, Serene and asked, "Well, are you serene?"   My standard reply rarely wavers, "While not yet a done deal,  it IS a work in progress and a definitive goal!"


Photobucket

21 comments:

  1. Not kidding - I thought that picture was you! And I adore your "owning it" concept, I am going to ponder that more today. Wonderful post! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patti, I'm COMPLETELY flattered! I'm pondering that "own it" concept myself lately.....actually writing really helps me think things through......

      Delete
  2. great post serene, i needed that reminder about owning ourselves. plus, that picture of cher! omg, pure adoration! i mean LOOK at that fantastic jewelry paired with that sovereign attitude.
    patti is kinda right, you do resemble her quite a lot. mostly because you too make that self-assured and independent impression. (:

    also i´d like to say: i love your blog and i´ve been reading it for qiute a long time now (altough never commented). please keep up that inspiring work.

    all the best to you and many greetings from frensburg, germany
    julia -27yr-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia!! Well HELLO! While I'm always tickled to meet new readers (or long time ones, first time commenters), your comment brought out a sentimentality in me because my mother was from Germany...I believe she was born in Landau...She moved here when she was about 14 years old. My sister's mother (we have the same father, different mothers) was also from Germany and my sister was born there. I remember her maternal grandparents sending us a huge box of goodies one Easter...it was the first time I recognized what really good chocolate is!

      I'm so glad you're enjoying my blog...it's really encouraging to hear! Looking forward to getting to know you better! Hugs! Serene

      Delete
    2. hallo liebe serene,

      sprichst du auch ein bisschen deutsch? (do you happen to know some words in german?)
      i always tought, there are hardly any americans who don´t have any german heritage at all.
      yes, our chocolate, you name it...mmmh...but i have to admit, that the belgians and swiss make even better chocolate. you cannot imagine, it tastes like heaven (:
      and while i am about to brag: have you ever tasted real bread, with real i mean german one? ((; my former american roommate and friend, ally, was also nuts about the bread here. my dreamland would be a mixture of german wholefood paired with american beauty and clothes-stores and brands...ok, now i´m drifting.(;

      have i complimented you for your new header? it looks so nice!

      ok, from now on i´ll try to comment more often, how´s that?

      now i go get some dinner and later on watch some episodes of friends (:

      take care, serene,

      julia


      ps: i´ve misspelled, it´s : flensburg (close to the danish border)

      Delete
  3. Great post Serene! You had me in stitches!
    I wish I had Cher's "in your face", unapologetic attitude!
    Btw, I love your 70's dress! It's RAD!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grace, Thanks girly! I'm working on the unapologetic attitude myself!

      Delete
  4. Hi Serene - don't you love Julia'a comment on Cher having "that sovereign attitude"? I couldn't say it better. Great picture and post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beryl! I do! I picked up on that right away too! Mah girlz got attitude in spades and I LOVE that about her!

      Delete
  5. The picture of Cher is stunning...HOWEVER, I disagree with you...I think you are more stunning in many,many ways! You have the striking, natural beauty of a Cher! and you OWN it well...your humility, creativity, and joy are so attractive and what make your ELEGANT BOHEMIAN attitude a success. While this picture of Cher is great...I much prefer seeing pictures of Serene!! Bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pam, you're just too kind! To be honest, I'm still working on "owning it" and I don't know if I'll ever completely get there, but at least I'm heading in the right direction, eh? I miss my daily outfit pictures....I got spoiled having a daily photographer before we moved. Now I have to take my own and it takes longer and then I get busy and forget! Will definitely try harder!

      Delete
  6. Wow, I had no idea that was Cher! As one whose looks are neither ethereal nor "in your face," I can say that you ladies with the bold features and "in your face beauty" are the ones I've always envied most. And you know how much I love your "owning it" concept. So I will now channel you and say: "Own it, girlie!" ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne! I stinkin' love you! I DO call everyone "girlie" and am laughing that you've picked up on that!

      Delete
  7. Cher is my inspiration. For everything. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE Cher--I grew up watching her on the Sonny & Cher show--she was so striking and Bob Mackie made the most fabulous gowns for her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. To my eye, this photo of Cher (which I've never seen before) is absolutely regal...for all the reasons your post describes. Owning ourselves--our thoughts, our feelings, even our appearance--is important, but Cher's look has been pretty changable over the years. I wonder if SHE has always "owned" her look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful post,darling,and so apt!
    Cher is a hottie,this pic is amazing,and she IS so inspirational!!
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with Patti. I thought the photo was of you too. Inspiring post. Embracing who I am and how I'm involving is a challenge, but the alternative is painful and takes time away from the moment. By the way, my daughter's middle name is Serene. I remember the day that we chose the name because it was so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops! evolving, not involving! Here's for accepting our mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely fantastic posting! Lots of useful information and inspiration, both of which we all need!Relay appreciate your work. bohemian clothing brands

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene