Thursday, July 4, 2013

Because we have everything.....and so much of it....


Peggy Olson:  I look at you and think, "I want what he has."
Don Draper:  Really?
Peggy Olson:  You have everything.  And so much of it.
Don Draper:  I suppose that's probably true.

                                          From Season 3 of Mad Men



As Americans, we really do have everything, especially in the eyes of most of the planet.  I know what it is to be American broke, but I have no comprehension of what it is to be poor according to so much of the world.  Poor, to me, is that I can't afford our Friday night pizza or, (bad case scenario) I'd have to downgrade my iphone. Or (worst case scenario), I'd have to cut off my cell phone.  

Much of the poor of this world struggle just to eat.  They don't have the luxury of trying to realize their dreams or potential.  They're simply trying to stay alive.....keep existing.  They're not concerned about body acceptance or self esteem.  Their concerns are much more dire and are fatal by nature.  In today's social media speak:  #thirdworldproblems NOT #firstworldproblems.

I was fortunate to be born an American.  To be honest, I'm not the most patriotic.  I don't believe the US has been blessed and favored by God above all other nations.  I can't even say that I'm proud to be an American, because I had nothing to do with it.  I was simply born into this nationality and enjoy the privileges it bestows.  But I COULD have been born in Africa.  Bangladesh.  Central America.  Or any number of countries where poverty, disease and want are a reality of daily life.  

A few months ago, my husband and I started sponsoring a child through Compassion International.  What I really loved about it is that we sponsor a particular child (in our case, Diana) and the $38 a month that we give, helps provide her with food, education, and hopefully hope.  We can correspond with her and she, with us.  We've already gotten a handwritten letter from her telling us about her life and family.

I'm always so leery of charities, too eager to turn into corporations, from my cynical point of view.   But, with this one, I read, researched and felt very comfortable that the funds we are sending really are making a difference.  And you know what?  At the end of the day, I can blow $40 a month on Starbucks without even blinking.  So, sending $38 a month to help a child who didn't have the luck to be born in my situation, really isn't a hardship at all.  I'm not deluding myself that I'm Mother Theresa over here!

If this moves you at all, I'd ask you to check out Compassion International and consider helping. There are children who have been waiting close to a year for a sponsor, and some are in Aids affected areas and areas that are high risk for exploitation. Heartbreaking, really.   You can make a one time donation, sponsor a child, or meet critical needs.  They are very transparent with how the money is spent and financial integrity seems to be a priority.

Have a grand and glorious Fourth everyone and God Bless the WORLD!!

Again, if you're so moved, I'd be very thankful for you to Tweet or Facebook or move this post on in any way.  Hugs and love all around!


Photobucket

7 comments:

  1. wonderful post, Serene. I agree that for many of us, our nationality is the "lucky" outcome of where we were born, and it bugs me when I see bumper stickers that say "God Bless America." God bless everyone! you are a treasure : >

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the direction you are going with you blog. Cudo's!!! I will tweet/facebook.
    Hugs
    Reva

    ReplyDelete
  3. So very true. I did sponsor a child through Compassion, but could no longer afford it at that time. I would recommend it to others though. I feel blessed to be an American, not because I am better or more deserving but very lucky to have been born in this place and time.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. The character Don Draper is written to have everything except integrity, so he really has nothing.
    I may be here by accident of birth, but I have to be proud of my grandparents who gave up so much, even the language they were born speaking, to be a part of the US. What country is your Diana from? Is your letter in English or translated? I'm glad you found a way to directly help one of the world's unfortunate children. I wish we could help them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beryl! So much to unpack in the dynamic between Don and Peggy! I love Mad Men because no one's ""good" or "bad", but rather pretty complex. Diana is from the Dominican Republic. Her hand written letter is in Spanish and the translation is typed on paper and adhered to the bottom of the page. I speak some Spanish, so I chose a child from a Spanish speaking country. As I write to her in English, there is space left for the translator. What you point out about your grandparents is what I'm talking about....what this country offers that so much of the world doesn't is opportunity. But, in my view, ultimately, we're all citizens of the world.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peggy was good thinking woman. I like it.:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene