Monday, January 16, 2012

Do you have a dream?




Sweater:  Vintage Jantzen, thrifted, Skirt:  Suede, thrifted, Boots:  Can't remember, Bracelets:  Thrifted


A few months ago our pastor preached on having a vision and going after it.  I sat there in church thinking, "I DO have a vision!"; but was afraid to really follow it.  I knew I wanted to make my thrifting my full time job.  I believe I have an eye and definitely a passion for finding amazing treasures, and I wanted to turn that into something I could do full time.  I also had been wanting, for some time, to be my own brand.  I've been fortunate in that I've had the privilege of helping build up the businesses of others.  But now I was ready to do that for myself.

I wish I could say that I went home, quit my job and took the plunge.  Or at least that, I went home, kept my part time job and BEGAN pursuing my vision.  But the truth is I didn't.  I talked it to death.  I berated myself for being such a pansy.  I was terrified of the embarrassment of failure and I realized that I trusted my employer's business sense more than my own and really, for no good reason.  Simply put, I was all talk and a big ol' chicken.

When we moved, I didn't keep my former job because it was a local business.  So now was the time for me to finally follow my dream.  I was kind of kicked out of the nest because my only other option was to start looking for work.  But I felt like, if I was ever going to do this, right then was the time.  To be honest, it's been WONDERFUL and I'm a little embarrassed that it took me so long.  Within the past couple of months since I've started selling, I've probably sold about 70 items on eBay.   I'm loving what I'm doing and my confidence as a business woman is building every day.

I've no aspirations of building any kind of business empire.  I'm not striving to reach my first million.  I find that the older I get, the less MONEY means to me and the more the people in my life  DO  mean to me.   But being able to help my family out AND be home and available to them is such a treasure for me at this time in my life.  And that fact that I get this while doing something I feel so passionate about, is just a bonus!

I've said all this to say, What's your vision?  What is it that you just KNOW you'd be great at?  If you could spend your day doing ANYTHING you wanted to do, what would it be?  What would your days look like if YOU decided how your time would be spent.  I'll never forget that Sunday when our Pastor said, "Either you get a vision, or someone will get a vision for you" and it's so true!

Now, as I'm finally living my vision, I'm thinking, "SERENE!  Why did you wait so long?!?"  For me it was fear.  For you, it may be something else.  But in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King Day, I want to do my small part to encourage anyone out there to follow your vision.  You can put it off until "just the right time", but usually that time never comes.

Seize the day girlies!  I just know you have some awesome visions!  I'd love to hear about them and I'd especially love to hear about how you're making them happen!  Big love to you all!!

By the way, here are my auctions if you'd like to take a look!


Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I did not realize that all of this had happened during my hiatus and I applaud pursuing your vision...while I quiver with apprehension about retiring too soon. I need you to give me these pep talks and a link to your eBay store! Here's to success.

    I like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always such an inspiration!
    Keep it up we need women like you to shake us out of our safe places!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new adventure! So inspiring to hear that you're following your passion and doing what you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the boots with the skirt..and good for you for making the positive change in your life that has brought you happiness:)

    The best of luck to you in 2012!!!

    A Lifestyle Blog for You, Your Home, & Everywhere in Between!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Serene! It takes courage to make a leap, and to follow your dream. You have such a radiance about you, and it comes through in your listings too (I took a look!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly an inspiration for me! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great business for you! Don't you love keeping your own hours? And this multiplies the treasures you can hunt for, since you have an outlet for them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great vision and I think I like that expression better than dream. Acting on a vision rather than a dream seems more positive and possible:). I love your eBay shop and yes you certainly have an eye for a bargain ... go for it lovely! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You go girl!! This is perfect for you and you have showed all of us that you do have an EYE for it!! I have so many dreams...if one could come to fruition in my lifetime, I would be so excited...we will see what happens.
    I want to encourage all of your readers that if they have items they do not want to donate them to your business!! We need to support one another's dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post! I feel so inspired and so happy for you! You obviously have a great eye for vintage treasures, so I know you;re gonna be successful! The best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the encouragement. I don't exactly have a single vision, not sure if it makes sense, but I have a few things I want to do and I think I am very slowwwwly getting there haha.... it's hard when i have two boys and a home to take care. Sometimes laundry piles up and windows are so dirty that I have to squint my eyes to see things outside..haha. All the best in your business venture, I'm sure you will do well, you're so full of energy and passion!

    mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definitely a fan of that polo collared sweater, but I urge you to pop that collar! Give it some preppy flare.

    Vision? Right now my vision is to finish my MA on time, in June, and get back to Japan and to my career... Small vision maybe, but an immediate one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post!! It's never too late your dream...I would love to write and publish a book, but, I know it's going to be hard. I see myself sitting at a secluded desk, typing away while peering out a nearby window, overlooking nature...But, it's just a dream....Glad you found yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so proud of you. I think it is perfect timing. YOU are now ready. Perfectly poised and in a great position to do this. I wish you loads of success, you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene