|Blouse: Silk Thrifted, Black Shirt: Thrifted, Pencil Skirt: Thrifted, Clogs: Michael Kors Thrifted|
I've found that there are just some items that I MUST have in my closet. Not name brand, but rather styles of items.....those clothes that I go back to time after time. Here's my short list of closet cravings that must be sated:
1. Pencil Skirts - I've never seen a woman who doesn't look good in a pencil skirt. Regardless of your body shape, these skirts are truly my wardrobe work horses!
2. Silk Blouses - I just love the way they hang. I rarely buy a cotton blouse because frankly, they just feel too boxy. But silk blouses skim the body and are so light; you could really wear them year round. There's almost no color of silk blouse that I would leave at the store!
3. Leather skirts - I've got about 5 leather skirts now and I'm always on the look out for more. Leather just looks sharp! It doesn't wrinkle. It wears well and feels great! I'd love to find a full leather skirt....most of what I find are pencil skirts.
4. Great high heels - A great pair of shoes makes the most humble thrift store finds look high end! A midi skirt is transformed from dowdy to dramatic with a funky pair of heels! If there's ONE thing that I'll spend a tad bit more on, it's SHOES!
5. Black and White shirts - All black and all white shirts. I have two little stacks of them in my closet. When you've got that statement skirt that you just don't know what to wear with it, throw on a black or white tee and suddenly it's PERFECT. They just go with EVERYTHING! My daughter and I have both picked up a pack of mens' v-neck white undershirts and those have certainly done the trick. When all else fails? Throw on white or black tee!
6. Belts - What can I say? I NEED my belts! It's one of the first sections I go to at the thrift store. A great belt is like that perfect pair of shoes. It will elevate your more humble items to "boutique" status!
7. Black tights - I've tried the colored tights and have been left deflated. I see colored tights on so many bloggers and they look fabulous! On me? I feel like a clown! But black tights? They go with everything!! A brown heel. A blsck boot. An ankle boot. A bright skirt. A black skirt. It's almost like the winter's version of the summer bare leg!
These are my closet staples. They're only necessary for my wardrobe because I enjoy wearing them so much! What are your must have's for your closet? The staples in your sartorial diet?