Sunday, January 27, 2013

"If I saw this at Walmart, would I still like it?"


Have you seen the I Love Lucy episode where they go to Paris and Lucy insists that she has to have a very expensive Parisian designer dress?  Not one in particular, but ANY one actually, because, well....IT'S PARIS!  And we all know that Paris is THE final word on what's fashionable.

The punch line of the show is that Ricky and Fred have dresses made for them using burlap sacks and horse feed bags, and have the designer label sewn into said dresses!  Well Lucy and Ethel are thrilled!  As they dine at a local outdoor cafe, feeling "Oh so chic!!"; Fred and Ricky can no longer contain their amusement and give up the gag, to the horror of the girls.  The following day, berated and humbled, the husbands have consented to purchase the real deal for there wives.   As they're all sitting at the same cafe, the models from the famous Parisian fashion house walk by wearing the EXACT same outfits (and coming off "Oh so chic!!") that were the butt of the joke the day before!  

And while that makes for a hilarious bit, aren't we really the same?  I've seen the below picture of Anna Dello Russo all over the street style blogs a while back (shows you how long I've been sitting on this post!) with comments lauding her style and creativity.  Apparently Ms. Dello Russo can do no wrong when it sartorially speaking.

But do we really believe that?  If I walked into my local Starbucks to pick up a Cafe Misto and a woman walked in wearing that hat, would I clasp my hands to my chest, throw my head back and swoon over the fashion statement she was making?  Probably not.  In my opinion, it's a silly hat that isn't practical or flattering and for the most part, serves only the purpose of garnering attention.  

 photo fotoflexer_photo-17.jpg

But it's amazing how our perspective is changed when A) A fashion icon wears something or B) It's a designer label.  Our label love is the delight of design houses everywhere!

Source

Case in point:  Do we REALLY like Carrie's outfit that she wore to a Middle Eastern Market?  Or have we been TRAINED to like it because, after all, Carrie Bradshaw is Fearless Fashion Icon?

If style is performance art, then I get it....it's all good.  But if style/fashion (I know they're not the same, but I'm making them quasi synonymous for the sake of this post) is about putting one's best foot forward and showcasing OURSELVES, then sporting labels for the sake of labels is counter productive and, dare I say, kind of silly?  But don't we know this already?  Even though we may get caught up in the fashion game every now and then, don't we all really know what's for show and what's really wearable; regardless of the label?

I used to love to shop or magazine peruse with my mom.  Often, we'd find ourselves critiquing designer looks with the question, "If I saw this at Walmart, would I still like it?"  If the answer is "No" then it's "No".

If that Marant shoe is fabulous, then by any other name, it will still be fabulous.  If not, then it wasn't so hot to begin with!



Photobucket

22 comments:

  1. That's a very good question to ask! I will use it on myself in the future.

    Sometimes the quality and design of an item is honestly better when it comes from a Big Name, with a hefty price tag. I've noticed this with leather shoes and tailored shirts over the past year. I don't mean paying $3000 for shoes or $500 for a shirt, but I mean being willing to think triple digits for shoes, or looking at Brooks Brothers for buttondowns. The styling and craftsmanship are honestly better.

    But sometimes there is such...ridiculousness, in terms of design and/or flimsy quality, that is adored because it is Dior or whatever. And it would bring good perspective to ask, "Would we think this is great if it was on a plastic hanger, being sold for $19.99?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally with you there! Often, I don't buy stuff at Walmart because, frankly, it's not made well and doesn't hold up well in the wash. I'm definitely willing to pay for quality. But I don't want to pay just for a name. I like how you put it about being on a plastic hanger, or to take it one step further, if there were no tag in it at all!

      Delete
  2. Serene, I'm glad you posted this. I've never been one to jump on trends, or wear something silly because an icon is wearing it. I've never understood how a designer can slap his name on something ridiculous and call it fabulous...to me its a lack of creativity and originality. Its what a designer does when he/she has hit a dead end...and tries to conjure new attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa! To be honest, that's how I feel about the Valentino camo collection right now. Or bags that Marc Jacobs designed for Louis Vuitton (I think it was him). Just because it's his name, doesn't mean it's great!

      Delete
  3. Very good post. In my last post I listed 10 things I've learned since blogging and one of then is quality is quality and junk is well, junk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy! Thanks! You're so right! Regardless of the name, quality really is quality!

      Delete
  4. What a perfectly presented and well-thought out post! How can you go wrong when you start with "I Love Lucy"?
    I used to get some cute stuff with the George label at Walmart, but it didn't last as long as other brands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beryl! That's the issue I have with Walmart items. I'll find them in the thrifts, but usually they look in worse shape than items made 20 years ago!

      Delete
  5. Great post, Serene! The hat on Ms. Dello Russo is ridiculous and would be ridiculous regardless of maker. It doesn't even look comfortable to wear with how it drops over the shoulders. Although maybe is great for keeping rain off.

    I've never been one to care about labels. In part, I think, because I wear so much vintage and thrifted clothes. Although, I don't thrift American Eagle, F21 or any fast fashion so maybe I'm a label snob in reverse? Is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracey! I'm just like you!! I'm a bit of a thrift snob too!! LOL I'm not buying F21 second hand.....not when it costs not much more than that new!

      Delete
  6. Excellent conversation, Serene! Last week on What Not To Wear, Stacey and Clinton were dealing with a woman who only wanted to talk about the designers she was wearing...no matter how bad she looked, it was all about the names. They showed her that it was far more important to wear clothes which fit your body and were appropriate for the situation whether going to work or McDonalds. I remember the Lucy episode and it was so funny. If I get something that fits, looks great, and answers my style questions at WalMart then I am going to consider it. What is fun about thrift in my life, is that occasionally I can get a NAME, as long as it meets the criteria!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam! Great comment! I've seen a few bigger name bloggers that have worn outfits that I couldn't imagine looking appropriate any where. But as soon as they list "Commes De Garcons" or "Maison Margiella", the oos and aahs hit the comments. I absolutely love to look for labels at the thrifts (mostly to sell), but at the end of the day, if I don't like it; I'm not going to let the label influence me. I'll ask myself the question, "If this were on a hanger at Walmart, would I still like it?" For me, that question, does the job every time!

      Delete
  7. wow, this is an amazing post, I love it when blog posts make me think beyond what I'm looking at. This year I told myself I would be more careful about buying things I really love, instead of following trends or what's "in." I think I've done fairly this month, I hated having to pay a bit more but in the end I noticed that if it's something trendy I end up leaving it behind because it's not worth it. The next question I'll be asking next time will be if I would buy it at walmart if I saw it there. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shey!! I, too, will pay more for quality! In the long run, it's a better deal!

      Delete
  8. I think the outfit on Sarah J Parker looks pretty silly actually. I would not be caught dead in that. I never go by labels, rather I just go by the styles I like. I don't care who makes it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marla, SATC 2 was so disappointing fashion wise. It was so ridiculously costumey that I couldn't even take it seriously. I mean, WHO dresses like that?

      Delete
  9. You hit the nail on the head, so to speak. I saw a hilarious post recently (unfortunately I can't recall where) that made the point that location is a huge factor in the perception of an outfit. Paris versus the backwoods of Maine, for example. Same clothes, different location. So if Walmart is the location, is the outfit still great? This is a question we should ask ourselves. However, the flip side of that would be the Walmart tunic I once wore while in Cannes, a number of years ago. It looked pretty darn good and I'm positive it was perceived as being pricey.

    If it looks good on you and you like it, I say go for it. Just make sure you save enough to travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean! You are so right! LOCATION is a HUGE factor! Can you imagine some of what we see on the street style blogs that catch Anna Dello Russo outside of NYFW at your local mall or grocery store? I live in a relatively large city and it would be SOOOOO out of place here! And while it's about what you love, I'm not into having my outfits be such a distraction. It just feels too much like a costume at that point.

      Delete
  10. FANTASTIC post Serene and oh so true!!
    I persoanlly thought most of the stuff SJP wore on Sex and the city were stupid looking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamera! I agree! Actually, the first few seasons of the TV show, it was fun to watch SJP's style. Her character didn't have a lot of money, and while she splurged on shoes, she played around with other things in her wardrobe and it looked creative and fun. But it's like once her character made a few bucks, she got incredibly tacky. Again, like just because something is designer, it's fabulous. It's just not true.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene