Tuesday, December 14, 2010

"You smell like home"


pics 005
pics 010
pics 011
kids
kids2
This past Saturday morning, around 5 am, my oldest boys came home from their first semester at college.  They’re twins!  I’ve over the moon proud of them!  They are brilliant artists and are pursuing that at school.  I had not seen them since October as their school is about 5 hours away.  So when they pulled in the drive, I ran out the door and Roman down the steps to greet me.  He hugged me so hard and he said, “Man, you smell like home!”  Ahhhhhhhh…..I can’t tell you how good that makes me feel!   I missed those guys so much!   Next August, their sister will join them at college (she’s going to the same school) and within a year’s time, 3 of my chickies are out of the nest.  OUCH!  On the one hand, I’m so tickled and I’m really not the type of mom who wrings her hands when the kids are gone wondering how she’s going to fill her time.  I have lots of things I love to do and some that I’ve been putting off for the next season in my life…the kids out of the house season.  Knowing that just because I put something off doesn’t mean it’s not going to happen, helps me to stay patient and focused and hopefully give my kids as much of me as I can right now.  I absolutely believe that I can do everything I want to do, I just can’t do it all at the same time.  Life has seasons and each season brings it’s own joys.   On the other hand, I miss their smell, the daily dialogue, having everyone in the kitchen at the same time, being goofy with them and just knowing that they’re within arms reach every day.  Oh well, it all comes with the territory, eh?
You’re going to see me in a lot of variations on black over the next few days.  To be honest, I have a serious love of black!  It’s classic.  It looks good on me.  I feel great in it!  I always feel put together and like myself when I’m wearing black.  There’s so much you can do to spruce up black.  It’s like a great backdrop for unique and interesting accessories.  So, I submit to you, Serene in Black AND Serene with her wonderful kids!  I love these guys so hard!!!!!
BLOUSE & BELT:  Thrifted
JEANS:  TJ Maxx
BOOTS & SCARF:  Inherited from my mom
JEWELRY:  Sentimental

12 comments:

  1. My favorite?? Serene with her kids!.... and if I showed this picture to some of my female students they would be sighing over your cute boys!! I love the family pix and you do look mega happy.
    Fashion note...the turquoise bracelet is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww the kids are HOME! My youngest comes home this weekend.
    You do look good in black--not so for me. Hardly any black near my face--only black on the lower half and not much.
    But I do understand being able to have a color foundation to work around--makes dressing easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good looking crew! I'm glad everyone is home safely!
    You do look pretty in black!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I love the scarf! And what a great compliment, "to smell like home." I have spent years trying to describe the distinct aroma of my grandmother's house...and belatedly realized it was the smell of eggs boiled in an aluminum kettle. Weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cutest family award goes to you! Seriously so precious :)

    and thank you for your sweet comment!

    http://ittybittybomb.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you make me cry...I bet you smell like home...
    You are semelling like home to me now.
    Your children are so beautiful!!!And so are you inside out my dear friend!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great/beautiful family photo!!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loove that scarf dear! Gorgeous.

    xx Bonnie

    http://flashesofstyle.blogspot.co

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. I can't even fathom 18 years from now when my baby is ready to leave the nest.

    Black is a classic and great for accessories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh you girlies, I just wish you could meet my brood in person. I like to call them the Fab Four!

    Pam, I am MEGA happy all my chickies are home!
    FOF, I know you must be excited for your baby to be coming home.
    Vanessa, Thanks for the compliment! I wear black like you wear color...OFTEN! :)
    Terri, boiled eggs, eh? Interesting. But don't all homes have their own signature smell? I've always wondered what ours was.
    Sacramento, I've told my kids about you and your blog. When Roman saw it he said you reminded him of me. What a compliment to me!
    Brittany, Flashes, Kaleido...thanks much for the kind words!
    Law, it happens sooooo fast. I remember when mine were as small as yours...and I swear, I didn't realize it was whizzing by me so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this made me sad/happy! when my kid goes off to college i'm pretty much gonna bawl all.day. every.day. or maybe i'll take up some fun new hobbies like SHOPPING all day! ;) haha! what a cute family!
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow you and your kids are gorgeous!
    thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene