Friday, March 25, 2011

~*~Green with Envy

Photobucket
Dress: Vintage, thrifted  Shoes:  TJ Maxx  Belt and Necklace:  Vintage thrifted

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Now, a year ago, I would have passed by this dress in the thrift store and thought, "That's really cool. Too bad that's not in style anymore." But today, it gets SNATCHED up and my thought is, "Wow! This is great and I know EXACTLY how I want to wear it!". I was joking with my husband yesterday that one thing I find myself really appreciating in life is OPTIONS. I'm not just talking fashion-wise, I mean in all areas. I think that there are far too many times in our life that we opt out of a situation or circumstance rather than running TO something we really want. So, after living far too long trying to avoid what I DON'T want and never really thinking about what I DO want (the only thing I considered was how not to have to do what I didn't want to do); I now try to focus on positives. My being happy doesn't depend on only ONE particular situation; I can be happy in a number of different scenarios. I like that!


Searching for little treasures here and there makes me soooooooo happy! The other day, after a bit of a stressful workday; the only thing I wanted to do was hit a local thrift store and just treasure hunt. It's not even about the purchase (although, I found a FABULOUS vintage cobalt blue suede envelope clutch!); it's just fun to see all the different things. It's relaxing to me. I told my husband, "It's my cocktail and cigar at the end of a stressful day!" I love that he GETS me!


I digress.....this beauty was rescued from a local thrift shop and came with a matching bolero jacket that ties at the neck. Same fabric, just very simple. That little bolero is going to look adorable with my skinny jeans or white linen pants. To have worn the dress and bolero together looks a little too dated. But this dress on it's own? I ADORE it! The color is vibrant in a never fade polyester and the diagonal of the pattern and column style is PERFECTION in flattering the feminine form. The shoes I'm wearing are a pair that I purchased at TJ Maxx about a couple of years ago. They're really high, but there's enough support with the wedge that they are super comfortable. This is an example of how you can take a vintage dress and add a current funky shoe and really modernize the whole look. With the pattern on the dress, I kept everything else minimal. I can so see Desiree (Pull Your Socks Up) doing something really funky with this. The green would be gorgeous with her blond hair! Love you to all!! Have a FABULOUS day!!!

17 comments:

  1. Your cocktail and cigar at the end of a tough day...I LOVE that!:) That is how I feel about hitting second hand book shops...it just relaxes me. I can browse for ages and adore finding treasures there! This dress is so beautiful, I love the fresh and vibrant green! I think the color suits you very well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could find dresses like this when I am thrifting ...come to SA and help me...PLEASE!! This is so flattering and springy...I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the dress and I'm not usually into that color. I think it looks terrific on you but the color is so saturated it takes dark hair to work well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen, I'm with you on the book store! I love old books, especially about Old Hollywood! Sooooo fun! I love the color too! Never would have thought that I would enjoy emerald green as much as I clearly do!

    Pam, Oh my!!! I'm THERE! LOL I'd love to hit the thrift stores in San Antonio with you!!! We'd have a blast and of course, we'd have to stop and have coffee and a goodie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Judy, I can't tell you how many times I find myself really liking something and for the life of me I couldn't tell you WHY I like it. I think that's how it was with this dress. The color is so vibrant and I just feel elegant in it! Have a wonderful weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serene, that is a fabulous dress! Great color, great length. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous dress! And it looks wonderful on you.

    I understand exactly what you mean about the thrill of the hunt. I visit thrift-stores for the same excitement and joy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smoking hot!!!! I love you in green, Serene (and I'm a poet).
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the dress - the print is beautiful and I love the pendant you've put with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Serene--I love the pattern on the dress! I have looked for a green dress all month to fit with my color of the month scheme and never came across anything this wonderful. I'm a big fan to wedge heels too. This is a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the pleasures of browsing. I don't have good access to thrift stores, but in any store, I am soothed by just looking at all the different colors, patterns and textures.

    And you know, I never would have thought I'd like that shade of green or that pattern -- but they look wonderful on you. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this color green on you GF! Looking forward to seeing the bolero too~
    I'm having trouble finding good scores here now at the thrift stores....its gone high end and specialized. Bummer--so grab all you can before it gets pricey! Paula

    ReplyDelete
  13. That dress is a score! I love the diagonal paisley dancing across it. And you're right Pull Up Your Socks would totally rock it with leather leggings and her Vivianne Westwood wing platforms or something. May I suggest you hem it up a bit. I think, given your great gams, a few inches of hem would really freshen up the look. xo. -Bella Q
    the Citizen Rosebud

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'M green with envy... because I don't look as amazing as you do in that color! WOW, Serene!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jess, thanks! I found it at Yokefellow!

    Shy, thank you! You and I have a fondness for that pretty 50s and 60s look! That's what I love about this dress!

    Vix, I think this would look great on you too!

    Veshoevius, thank you! That's a thrifted pendant too and it just seems to look great with everything!

    Terri, when I read your comment, I thought, "I may have to send this dress to Terri so she can style it up!" It's such a vibrant color.

    Anne, I was surprised that I liked this too; but it's like as soon as I saw it, I snatched it up!

    Paula, is your Goodwill like that too? What I like about Goodwill is that they put one price for all like items. They may set some really good stuff aside at a bit higher price, but for the most part it's one price. You just need to come visit down here and we'll hit these stores!

    Bella, I know, right! Socks would funk this up so great and I love her wing tipped shoes! I considered hemming it; but for the most part, I prefer this length. But in a month I may feel differently so it's nice to have that option.

    Leia, I bet this vibrant green would look gorgeous on you! I have yet to see anything that you wear that you don't make look stunning!

    Hugs to you all!!!

    ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing shade of green. . lucky you with your awesome finds! I've better luck finding good books whilst thrifting, which I have no complaint about :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. love the dress! the colour is perfect!!!
    great blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene