|Skirt, shoes and scarf: vintage thrifted, Shirt: Mens' Hanes undershirt (purchased a pack in my size)|
I think I could have entitled this: My Favorite (and NOT so favorite) things about blogging. Style Underdog's return and "nothing added" blog style has really gotten me thinking. So, under the heading of "getting it out of the way", let me start with my not so favorite things about blogging.
1. The self-imposed pressure - post more, be clever, write well, bullet points, take better photos, etc....
2. The inevitable comparisons...."Her clothes are nicer than mine", "Her photos are better than mine", "Wow, she's so creative. I really need to work on that", "DANG! Where did she get all those followers?!?!?", "She's blogged for two months and has a zillion followers, I've blogged for 9 months and have 10!!!", "How does she dress so cute EVERY DAY? I really need to at least brush my hair this week!"
3. "Follow Me" - A personal pet peeve of mine. THIS I VOW....You will NEVER be asked by me to "please follow me" or "take a look at my blog". I'm here. I'd love for you to visit. We'll have coffee and a goody. We'll chat about clothes, philosophy, our kids, our desires, our insecurities, whatever you want actually. But when you visit it'll be because you WANT to visit, NOT because I did a drive by "follow me".
1. The creativity.
2. The community.....Oh my GOSH! I've met so many kindred spirits!
3. The kindness.....I've NEVER encountered negative comments on my blog. The closest that I came to that was when Bella told me what she felt my outfit didn't work. But honestly, I LOVED that! I don't need smoke blown up my skirt all the time. I loved that she was sweetly honest.
Now these short lists leads me to the "Comments" issue. My favorite thing and least favorite thing about blogging. I'm feelin' Style Underdog on "no ads". I've addressed that before. I'm totally with her on "no followers"; which is probably simply taking the followers off of her blog (but doesn't prevent one from following her blog). I get "no events" and nothing on the sidebars. But when it comes to "no comments"? Stop the bus, this is where I get off!
My favorite part of blogging is comments. Without comments, there's no interaction. There's no give and take. I love comments because it's allowed me to get to know so many of you! It's fun checking my blog throughout the day and seeing what you have said. What's really cool is that often, the outfit is an afterthought. It's like meeting a girlfriend for coffee. Chatting about whatever. Maybe something in my blog makes you think of something completely off topic.....it's so great that you share that with me. If it weren't for comments, there's really no reason for me to have a blog. I mean honestly, I'm not THAT interesting!!! I'm wearing clothes everyday. I can find only so many ways to wear a skirt! But the comments tell me and allow me to tell you, "I get you!" and isn't that what we all want to hear sometimes?
But let's keep it real. Comments can be sooooooo frustrating! Oh CRAP! I need to comment back! Is "Thanks" enough? Sometimes I really don't know what to say. It's easy for me to comment on my friends' blogs (which became friends through the comments), but when I'm trying to reciprocate a visit; there are times when my mind just goes blank. Then there are the comments that are nothing more than "drive bys". "Cute skirt!....visit my blog" "Love your blog....visit my blog and follow me" "So pretty!!.....please follow my blog" You get the picture! I hardly see those as comments, but rather ads. And then it leads to a conversation with myself:
Nice Serene: "Well, she did visit my blog. All she wants is for me to follow her. If it makes her happy to have hundreds of followers, then don't be a jerk Serene, just go on over and follow her. What's the big deal?"
Jerk Serene: "But I don't WANT to follow her blog. It crowds up my reader and honestly, I'm just not relating with her style"
Nice Serene: "Oh just STOP! Make her happy already! It's such a simple thing to do."
Jerk Serene: "But it's not like she's following mine! She's just trying to get new followers. I don't want to play into that."
Nice Serene: "You know what Serene? It's not all about you. You don't know her. You don't know what her blog means to her. You don't know what her life is like. Maybe getting more followers is the only thing that gives her a little joy right now. What's so hard about just doing something that truly doesn't tax you at all?? C'mon girly! What's your problem?!?!?"
It's EXHAUSTING in my head sometimes!!!!
Sure, comments can be work. But they're worth it. Without the comments, I'm basically saying, "Look at me" but don't give me any feedback; because I really don't want to take the time to read it." That just doesn't work for me. If all I want is an accounting of what I've worn, I can keep that in folders on my computer. But I WANT this interaction! So while this is a route Style Underdog has taken, and I'm glad it's working for her; I just couldn't do it. What can I say? You had me at "Hello"!