Monday, August 29, 2011

Back In Black: An Accessories Story

Black can be a lot of things, but it certainly doesn't have to be BASIC!  When wearing primarily black, the key is that it's all in the accessories.  And the fun thing is you can get as creative and funky as you want.  The black will keep it toned down to a respectable level.

Here are some tips to wearing black without feeling boring:


It's a bit difficult to see in this picture, but I have  a vintage black slip on.  It works as a pretty camisole AND I really don't have to worry about length.  If the black lace peeks out the bottom, it's just an added interesting element!  I have a fire engine red vintage slip with some great accordion pleat and lace detail.  if I wanted to dress this up more, I'd pair the red slip with this and have it peeking at the top and below the hem.  Instant GLAMOUR!
Add a show stopping scarf!  Sometimes I feel like I never really know what to do with a scarf, even though I  canNOT pass up a pretty scarf!  In fact, a shock of color works GREAT with a black background!  This vintage beauty made it's premier around my neck today!  It was time to let the leopard out of the cage!

Every girly needs a great pair of movie star sunglasses and red lipstick!  The great thing about black is that you can really have fun with your make up.  Draw all the attention up to the face and then blow their socks off with highlighted eyes, bright lips and great earrings......just not all at the same time!

If you know me at all, you know my penchant for a statement belt.  This sweet dress needed to be toughened up a bit so I opted for a leather and hardware southwestern style belt.   Amid the sea of black, the belt was the star!

Got shoes?  Bring on your craziest, your most colorful, your totally funky shoes!  While your more colorful or patterned items can't handle it; pure black is not so insecure.  It welcomes the chance to accompany statement shoes out scooter pootin' around!

While this necklace seems to feel a bit too heavy with a lot of my clothes; black seems a friendly base for it.  When you're wearing all or mostly black, grab those big pieces of jewelry.  Now's no time to be timid....pile it on!

Now wear your black and get creative.  I guarantee you, you could wear black every day for a month and still keep it fresh and interesting!

25 comments:

  1. Serene, you make black fantastic. I really enjoyed seeing all the ways you styled your outfits. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Southwestern belt is FABULOUS with that black dress. I do like brown with black, and I think you know I also love to toughen up sweet looks, as you put it! Very, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geeze, I'm tired just thinking about all of the costume changes you went through for this post.
    Black is a favorite of mine too! I'm thinking I just fell in love with that scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  4. serene ~ i love that belt! i'm guessing it's vintage?? i adore the polka dotted top with the cropped pants. i've coveted those shoes for months now...ahem. you look great in all three outfits ~ so chic and stylish doing it your way! love it! ~ susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn I hope you realise those shoes in the final pic are My Shoes!!! yeah, they're the ones I was perving over on FB the other day;)). You look amazing in black - it brightens up your skin and eyes - the transformation is amazing and I love the idea of the red vintage slip peeking out to say hello:))) xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a scarf addict and adore that scarf in the first picture! So unique! I love your tips and like to wear black as much as I like to wear any color...it's kind of refreshing I think! You look simply gorgeous in all your pictures here...as always!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, That belt is so YOU! You and I share that need to take all the syrup off the pancake, sotospeak....super sweet just isn't me. I'm just not that delicate!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tammy, actually you flatter me! I wish I took that much time with my photography and posts. But actually, these outfits were over several days...and it occurred to me when looking at my photos, "Wow, I've been wearing a lot of black! This might make a good post!" Email me your address and the scarf is all yours! There is a tiny bit of bleeding of the red, but hardly noticeable and it's all silk. I'm thinking you may enjoy it more than I. I'm serious...my email is theelegantbohemian at yahoo dot com. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susan, I don't know if the belt is vintage..it was given to me. And I DO love these shoes soooo much!!! I think they're my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Desiree, you cracked me up on FB the other day! I was telling my husband about that! If I ever tire of these babies, they're all yours. But to be honest, I love them so much I see me wearing these for YEARS to come! I thought that red slip idea would appeal to you! You've made a wardrobe out of your pretty undies and inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Colleen, thank you girly! You are always so sweet with your comments! Blogging helped me move away from all the black that I used to wear and embrace color. Now, I love BOTH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loooove the kitty scarf! And you give some great tips about wearing black, which happens to be my favorite non-color! It's very flattering on you, and you can rock the red lipstick, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Agreed! You look fantastic in colors but can rock a black ensemble like no other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You look so good in black. I love the animal scarf! And the southwest belt is great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my goodness, that last pair of shoes? Yes, please. And I love that you paired the red leopard scarf (beyond fab, btw) with a brown shoe. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Patti, I'm LOVING this new red lipstick. It was a leap for me, but when I discovered I had 4 tubes of mauve....well, I knew I needed a change!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bella! Thanks girly! What can I say? My heart belongs to black!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lise, thanks so much! It IS a fun scarf!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gracey, I think there's about to be a brawl for those shoes! LOL They are just FABULOUS!!! My PRESSSSSHUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. There's so many little details in these outfits that I appreciate. The scarf, for one, is fantastic. I also love the big brown belt with the simple black dress. And, the ankle strap shoes are great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the tips! I also like to wear black with some chunky jewelry, or a bright cardi))

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vanessa, Thanks! The details are what's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Trikelos, EXACTLY!! When you're doing all black, you can go really bold!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Loving these outdoor shots and those shoes ahhhh so awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene