Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mini Makeover: To Tuck or Not to Tuck!

Remember my friend, Carrie?  I first introduced her here.  Carrie has lost a lot of weight and yet, as I mentioned before, she sees herself larger than what she is.  She came in wearing this outfit yesterday and looked WONDERFUL!  She mentioned that the shirt was a bit big on her.  I told Carrie, "You're NOT as big as you think you are AND tall doesn't equate to BIG."  When she was showing me to top, I saw that her skirt has a belt detail on it.  So to illustrate to her how small her waist is, I got her to tuck in her shirt.  Now I have to tell you, for Carrie, this is WAAAAAY out of her comfort zone.  She told me she hasn't tucked her shirt in in YEARS!  So, granted, she was expecting the worse!  Well, you be the judge:



Well Helllllooooo Waist line!!!!  Can you believe the difference!?!?!  I can actually see her gorgeous hour glass figure!  Think about this....

Carrie always thought she was pear shaped.   Full hips do NOT make a woman pear shaped.  It's when  one's shoulders are very narrow disproportionately to her hips.  For years I thought I was pear shaped (and there's nothing wrong with pear shaped if that's what you REALLY are).  But that was during a time when it wasn't cool to have some hips.  Thankfully Ms. Lopez and Ms. Beyonce changed that for us!  Carrie is clearly an hour glass coming in at the waist and basically the same in the shoulders and hips.  She has a FABULOUS shape!

Carrie tried to cover  what she considered to be her flaws.    I'll say again, "FORGET YOUR FLAWS....OR WHAT YOU THINK THEY ARE!"    Just put it out of your head!  Look for what is GREAT about your figure, because I'm telling you....I PROMISE you.....IT'S THERE!  Carrie has a wonderful waist line, but because she was self conscious about her hips and tummy, she tried to cover it all up.  When really, she didn't need to.  She's got it so FLAUNT IT!

Those parts of us that we try to use our clothes to camoflage?  It doesn't work.  They're still there and while we are trying to hide them, we're also hiding some of the best things about us!  So rule of thumb:  FOCUS ON YOUR ASSETS AND EVERYONE ELSE WILL FOCUS ON THEM TOO!  



11 comments:

  1. I always prefer tucking! It looks SO much better in this case!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  2. She looks really good and tucking top in really suits her! I now how she feels - I have a friend who'd lost lots of weght, but still hiding under baggy shapeless clothes. I strongly believe that looking good is all about proportion) So I really like the way you suggested her to tuck in her shirt. She looks amazing))

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tucking all the way! (At first I though your post title was about getting a face-lift, and I thought NO, Serene! Your face is beautiful!) But back to tucking: it makes a world of difference and your friend's lovely shape now shows through. Well done! xoxo - Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stories like this make me cry. Too many women are unable to see the beauty they possess due to anxiety over what they perceive as flaws. My mother was that way her whole life.

    The top looks good tucked it and the entire outfit benefits from having a waist. We can dress attractively no matter what size we are. Most important, it's critical that we feel confident and joyful, which will radiate through our clothing-choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, prefer it tucked. (And I'm a vehement non-tucker, personally, if you must know! I always wind up looking sloppy tucked, as excess fabric bunches up and untucks itself).

    But anyway: your friend is making SUCH progress. She looks beautiful! Both of the posts featuring her have been amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job, Serene! A simple fix and she looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is amazing...the tucking makes such a difference. I am so glad she has you to help her. She might enjoy last night What Not To Wear if she missed it...we get such negative body images and listen to lies in our heads when we can look great with the bodies we currently have!! She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell Carrie that letting the shirttail hang out actually emphasized what she was trying to cover. TUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your posts about Carrie!! She's so beautiful! Losing weight is hard- it's difficult to let go of old body image and embrace the new. Great call having her tuck in her shirt! I'm personally blown away by the difference that it made. You really have an eye for proportions. BTW- I just read the thing above this box that says "comments are like pizza..." LOL! Holla that. You have such a lovely blog, Serene :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet she was shocked (& thrilled!) at the difference - it's like she had a make-over between photos & all she had to do was tuck! FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the tuck-in with belt on her!! Gosh, what a difference! :)
    She looks GORGEOUS!!

    I used to be a dress-to-be-invisible-without-making-ANY-statements person, so I totally get your friend not wanting to try it out at first..

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene