Friday, August 12, 2011

Oh black water.....keep on rollin'




As much as I love color.....and I DO love me some color.....sometimes the eyes just want to rest.  No stimulation.  No vitamin "vibrance".  Just resssstttttt (read while exhaling!).  This dress was given to me by a sweet woman I work with and as soon as I put it on, I felt at home.  Amidst all the vintage, the color, the tailoring, along comes a simple black dress and all of a sudden:  Comfort is Chic!

I have a schizophrenic closet.  There's vintage.  There's over the top.   There's color.  There's minimalist.  There's some of everything!  I finally gave up trying to define a certain style that I have.  I say this over and over, ad nauseum, but the common thread I look for when putting something together is elegance with a touch of drama or whimsy.  My mother's liquid silver necklace did the trick for drama!  Notice the absence of a lot of arm candy?  For me, I decide which piece of jewelry will speak for the crowd....ya know what I mean?  Again, this necklace talks loudly enough.  Another armload of silver or big honkin' earrings and the fabulousness of the piece gets lost in the noise.

Hope you all have a FABULOUS weekend!!!  Big hugs to all of you!

11 comments:

  1. I love this. It's simple, but still elegant and pretty.

    http://tri-skelos.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very elegant indeed, Serene. The silver necklace is a treasure - so pretty against your dress and your dark hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yea i feel the same way...!! Esp when i find myself wearing brights almost every day... its nice to go back to the basic black/white/grey.. :)
    Lovely blog!

    www.thegirlatfirstavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfection Serene, I am drooling over the shoes, they compliment the dress beautifully, giving the whole outfit a cool, summery look. You are gorgeous :)) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOOH Serene you are so pretty...your style is SOOOO Serene and that's the best style to have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know after nearly a year of blogging I'm no closer to defining my style either. Yeah for resisting labels. I'm really admiring the espadrilles! And they were a real bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I have a schizophrenic closet. There's vintage. There's over the top. There's color. There's minimalist. There's some of everything!"

    ME TOO!!

    So glad someone else said that - very elegant outfit and espardrilles for $1 - bargaintastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these shoes with the dress!! It is simple/chic!! For me to control my hysteria, I came up with the five guidelines..i do not look at them as labels...but guidelines..to help me know where I am going and to make fewer mistakes...it keeps my style focused. Maybe the word LABEL has a bad connotation...but I needed to know what I was going to try and communicate with my style... You look awesome in this!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's great to have an easy, breazy beautiful fun-to-wear dress! I love how you paired it with that necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the simplicity of that dress, and I think it works especially well to set off the special jewelry.

    And your closet may have a bit of everything, but you definitely have a cohesive, individual style. The choices you make, and how you style them, make the outfits "you."

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the espadrilles. Very nautical.

    As far as labels, they either fit, or they don't.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene