Sunday, August 28, 2011

Here me calling out your name....I feel no shame....




This was a picture of the first time I wore this dress.  See what difference sleeve length makes?  


This dress and I had a thing for each other the first time I laid eyes on it.  The fullness of the skirt.  The abstract beauty of the print.  The vibrancy of color. The care with which it was hand sewn.  All these things held a promise of love reciprocated when I rescued it from the racks.  

Dresses aren't the easiest things to wear differently with each use.   But that's okay.  The way I see it, I get more points for looking cute than by changing up ways I wear something just to be different.  If it ain't broke?  No fixing it here!  The first time I wore it (second pic) the sleeves were longer and they just didn't work.  Rather than going straight for sleeve mutilation, which I have a tendency to do, I decided to cap them instead.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!  It's such a subtle change that makes a really big difference.  Before, the sleeves were a bit cumbersome with the fullness of the dress.  NOW, they're just the right delicate length to allow the rest of the dress to be the star!

Speaking of stars....be sure to check out the constellations of "Visible Women" on Patti's Visible Monday.  If you've never met Patti, go there RIGHT NOW. Patti is a sweet wise lady who has the kindest eyes I've ever seen.  You'll love her!

19 comments:

  1. The dress is wonderful, especially with the cropped sleeves. I've shortened the sleeves on 2 blouses this week and love them so much more now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Serene, I am blushing from your sweet words. I love your dress and I love the way you talk about how you usually "mutilate" them - LOL! That's hardly the case - you are a master re-maker of clothing, and this is a prime example : >

    Thanks for participating in Visible Monday, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you shortened the sleeves. It makes it much more modern. You have nice arms so it looks really good on you. Some of us would scare small children if they saw our upper arms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the full skirt, too! And the florals are just so on-track right now! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a lovely dress, anything that has a full skirt I love, you did a great job on the sleeves! =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is definitely your style and I love what you did with the sleeves! It's always a pleasure to wear a hand sewn garment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coastal, Thanks...don't you love refashioning something you love into something you love more!?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Patti, Thanks girly! and thanks for coming up with Visible Monday to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SWAW....I have a sneaking suspicion that your arms are absolutely fine! I DO love the shortened sleeves!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shey, girly, I have to tell you. You are a constant inspiration to me! This dress would be fabulous on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie, you're so right....there's something about a garment that's been hand sewn that makes me feel almost like it was MADE for me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh I have fallen in love with your dress , Serene.
    You look sooooooooooo beautiful in it.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sacramento! You ALWAYS make my day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful you look in this dress with the full skirt! And love the pose!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a beautiful vintage dress, you wore it so well! You always have the right accessories and shoes. You have fabulous style!

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. And yes, the shortened sleeves look cuter now

    ReplyDelete
  17. SC, Thanks! Poses are coming a bit easier to me now....just going with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mongs, you're so sweet! Thanks and that's high praise coming from you because you put some fabulous outfits together!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene