Do you have fashion rules for yourself? Are there fashion rules you religiously follow? I have found over the years that I have some fashion rules that did not start out as rules. They were really just habits that I noticed that finally one day, I found myself saying, "I never wear.....". Here are some that I've noticed that I have:
1. I only wear bracelets on one arm (left). This is one I'm willing to reconsider. I see pictures of bracelets on both arms; it's just not me. But this really isn't set in stone.
2. If I wear a belt, I don't wear a statement necklace. I might wear a small sentimental necklace, but not a full necklace. It just feels too busy for me when I've tried it. Like I've got too much going on.
3. If I expose full arms or alot of upper body (I have absolutely no cleaveage so that's really not an issue), then I cover up more on bottom. If I wear something shorter on bottom, then I keep things covered more on top. I wore a short skirt a couple of summers ago, the first one I had worn in years. I tried to wear a tank top with it and felt like a complete hooch!
4. As a rule, I don't wear toe rings or anklets. Again, don't really know why, but this is a hard and fast one.
5. Generally, I don't wear heals with a short skirt. I see this look on others and it looks great. On me, I look like I'm trolling the streets......not exactly the look I'm going for.
6. I don't wear jewelry sets. Like a matching necklace and earrings. I don't do matching.
7. If I wear a statment (large) necklace, I keep my earrings small. Again, it just feels like there's too much going on.
8. My rule of thumb for an outfit is that I don't wear it if I don't feel fabulous in it. I tend to place more importance on how an outfit makes me feel than how I look in it. I'm not talking comfort. Goodness knows, I'll sacrifice comfort for a great look EVERY. DAY. OF. THE. WEEK. I want to feel pretty, or cute, or elegant or some other wonderful emotion in my clothes.
9. Last rule, when in doubt, usually it's a DON'T.
So these are my "rules". Personally, I think it's okay to have your own rules. Since their your own, you can break them anytime you want. What are yours?
This dress is vintage. I think around the 70s. I saw it one day at the thrift store and the pattern caught my eye. Sometimes I'll find myself liking something and I really can't explain why. But when I held it up, I thought, "Nah, that's just an old housewife dress". Then I went back in a few days later and saw it again. At that point, I was grabbing everything, no matter how outrageous and some things just because they were outrageous and trying them on over my clothes in front of a tri mirror. As soon as I put this on, it was LOVE BABY! I took it home (after paying for it, of course....) and washed it, hung it out to dry and then tried it with a pair of boots AND these clogs. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I even put it UNDER a white skirt and YYAAAHHHH...the fabulousness knows no bounds. I feel awesome in this dress! Bonus: Sweet Baby loves this on me!
Dress...... vintage thrifted ($1.50)
Belt......You know the deal...it's the SAME Michael Kors belt from TJ MAXX. ($At this point, this baby's priceless!?)
Clogs.......Coach(inherited from my mom)