Friday, October 15, 2010

Jean Harlow

Iabsolutely love the idea of mixing things up with what you have. I got these jeans at TJ MAXX and they are bordering on jeggings. I could not believe that I found a pair of jeans that fit me so perfectly. So, I've worn them twice this week with a minor change, the first time I rolled them up slightly. I know, I know, versatility with blue jeans is not necessarily a monumental, alert the press, blogging moment. Still, there are ways that even the most mundane garments can be tweaked for a slightly different look.



Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a vintage top that I picked up for about $1.50. It's the sleeves that roped me in. I believe it's actually a pajama top....I do love these vintage pjs!



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was on our way to breakfast this morning. Basically, I got out of bed and just threw on jeans and white tee shirt - one of my all time favorite combinations. Then, layer on the necklaces! This is the quickest and easiest way to turn "MYEH" into "OH YEAH!" We've all got tons of necklaces flying around and they don't even have to be expensive. Try it sometimes and then send me a pic....I'd love to see how others get creative with necklaces! You may also recognize this sweater as one of my thrifting treasures from last weekend. I can see already this baby's gonna see alot of action!



Blogging has really helped me overcome some photo anxiety. I have always hated the way I look in pictures. I'll nitpick myself apart, hone in on the thighs, or some goofy expression on my face and within 5 minutes I'm wanting to crawl in a hole. Well now, I REJECT THAT WAY OF THINKING! My 44 year old body has been wonderful to me! I'm certainly not going to bad mouth it now. Putting it all out there helps me to say, "Yup, that's me and I like it!"




Jeans...... TJ MAXX ($12)

Brown Boots......Sears about 15 years ago ($ no idea)

Black Boots.......Spiegel about 8 years ago ($ can't remember)




Maybe not FOREVER! How about just sometime?

9 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about blogging helping a person overcome their self-consciousness about photos. It's helped me that way too.

    And these "jeans" look fantastic on you! How tall do those boots go?

    The new blog layout looks great too. What did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay girl! So good to hear your positive thoughts - I actually feel fashion blogging can be a great way to rediscover the thrill of dressing up, particularly for women our age. It's a time of change and we can either resist or just go with it. I'm so glad I found you here in blogworld, you write naturally and I love your pic selection:). Have a wonderful weekend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri, Thanks! Both of the boots go just above the ankle. I want to experiment with wearing them with skirts, not just pants. Reading blogs has helped me widen my views on how things can be worn. On the layout, I changed the width to go about all the way across and widened the margins. I wanted completely white background....still working on that. I enlarged my pics to 550 mpx and I'm really liking it too! Devilishly Pleasurable gave me the step by step on how to do it.

    Socks, you are just so right! During the really crazy years of having and rearing kids, getting dressed was something that was done quickly. LOL And while I always have loved style, I think I let the opinions of others sway me as to what I wore. I so just wanted to fit in. You actually really inspire me with your edginess and sense of fun with fashion. You always have a big ol' smile on your face and I can tell you're having a blast with your clothes!
    Terri, Socks - Cyber hug to you both. Feeling tender this morning about meeting such fascinating women who share my passion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment and I wanted to say I’m so glad I've found another blogger who loves thrifting too! It’s like a treasure hunt and a fun hobby. The thing I LOVE about thrifting and is vintage shopping is usually the people. It takes a certain kind of personality to work/shop in a thrift store and I enjoy going there for the shopping and the people I meet. It’s a much pleasanter experience than say trying to shop at Forever 21 where I can’t help but feel like I’m surrounded by vacant eyed robots counting down the minutes till the end of their shift.

    Most my friends aren’t into thrifting but I’ll convert them...eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also i wouldn't have guessed you were in your 40s. I assumed when I first saw your blog pics you were in your 30s.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the layout--I read the other day that most people prefer the white background--good for you, oopesey for me!

    Ditto on the catharsis thing; I have felt it too! It was such a surprise.

    To Pull your Socks up--at 0ver50feeling40 the other day, someone wrote about how they got off the "fashion train" and they got stuck at the last stop--whatever fashion that was. I thought that was a great way to put it!

    Serene--I didnt get the Harlow reference tho...

    ReplyDelete
  7. FOF - LOL the harlow referenence was a take on "jean' for blue jeans. I guess I should have " the Jean! Also, I experimented with some really cute backgrounds, which I really liked. I just decided to keep it "clean" so that I could have more blog space. So much of mine was taken up by background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the layers of necklaces in this last look. It's so pretty and drape-y!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emmett...I appreciate the compliment! Thrifting is therapeutic, fun, creative and just economically smart. Honestly, if I had a ton of money, I think I'd still go thrifting...the variety alone is worth it!

    Vanessa....I'm a huge fan of the layering necklace look. I used to rarely wear necklaces, now I have quite a few and love mixing them up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! ~Serene